Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hard Drive Space - A Little Off Topic

This morning was all planned out. Then an email in the first of the climb out of bed bunch changes things a bit. Living on the "left" or West coast means that most of the country gets at least a couple hour head start. I now need to download and install some stuff. Download done...start install, no disk space...huh??

But I've got a 150gb hard drive and most of my stuff is on an external drive. Where did it go? I'm not really sure...yet. I have been on a splurge lately installing various applications to check out etc. I guess I lost track of the impact on the hard drive. I swear it was half full last night...well, I think so...maybe.

Then again I've been enduring the same Microsoft Update attempting to install for the last month and a half. Install it and the little shield goes away for about ten minutes and up pops another warning, "Update Ready"... A check with Microsoft's site suggests running a check for Update status. Sure enough there it is and a couple others. Finally today...it appears to have stuck, or they've killed it so it doesn't hassle anyone anymore.

So I spent my day, in between doing the things I was supposed to do, deciding which applications I really need to keep on my computer. Throw in a disk cleanup session that ran for most of the day... Oh, well...10 hours later and I can now install what I started to install at 7:30 am.

3 comments:

Erik said...

Hooray for technology!!!!

Steve said...

The update returns!! Security Update for Windows XP x64 (KB956744) is baaacccckkk...aaarrrggghhhh

James Van said...

Steve, ever heard of Mojopac (www.mojopac.com)? You can install apps on your external drive and run them from there.