Friday, December 31, 2010

Dept. of Off Topic: Gibberish

A couple years ago I attended an earth science camp, I can't remember which grade it was but I'm pretty sure I took earth science as a subject in eighth grade. I do remember hanging out playing pool and listening to American Band and other classics.

At some point we learned a phrase or tongue twister that has stuck with me ever since. I annoy my wife with it, now and then, and recently was surprised when my daughter managed to remember it so I may have succeeded in passing it on.

It goes something like this when said complete, keep in mind I've never seen it spelled out, just remembering how it sounds when said fully (has an interesting flow to it if you can say it quickly):

It and Dit and Little Dit, Oat and Doat and Little Doat, Ish Piddly Oat and Doaten, Poad Oat Ska Deet and Dotten, Wad Ought and Chew

I may even have it wrong, it's been a few years, but it's close and that's my story. I seem to recall it being taught by starting at the end and working toward the beginning. Something like this:
  • Wad Ought and Chew
  • Poad Oat Ska Deet and Dotten, Wad Ought and Chew
  • Ish Piddly Oat and Doaten, Poad Oat Ska Deet and Dotten, Wad Ought and Chew
  • Oat and Doat and Little Doat, Ish Piddly Oat and Doaten, Poad Oat Ska Deet and Dotten, Wad Ought and Chew
  • It and Dit and Little Dit, Oat and Doat and Little Doat, Ish Piddly Oat and Doaten, Poad Oat Ska Deet and Dotten, Wad Ought and Chew
My Grandfather used to recite Mairzy Doats every now and then and it reminds me of that too. Okay, as you were...

Jon Stamps shared this LINK in his comment. I also found this VIDEO on You Tube using the spelling of the phrase he provided.


2 comments:

Jon Stamps said...

I also thought of Mairzy Doats, but then it rang a different bell. I've probably heard this every year over this last decade, during the few days that our Boy Scouts have spent at summer camp.

You transcribed a pretty good rendition of Wha-Daten-Chu. I'm sure that it's one of those things that varies from camp to camp. From http://www.ultimatecampresource.com/site/camp-activity/wha-daten-chu.html:

Wha-Daten-Chu
(repeat)
Bo-Doe-Ska-Deeten-Daten - Wha-Daten-Chu
(repeat)
It-skiddly-Oaten-Doten - Bo-Doe-Ska-Deeten-Daten - Wha-Daten-Chu
(repeat)
Oaten-Doten-Little-Boaten - It-skiddly-Oaten-Doten - Bo-Doe-Ska-Deeten-Daten - Wha-Daten-Chu
(repeat)
Itten-Mitten-Little-Kitten - Oaten-Doten-Little-Boaten - It-skiddly-Oaten-Doten - Bo-Doe-Ska-Deeten-Daten - Wha-Daten-Chu
(repeat)

Isn't AU like the Revit geek's summer camp? Why don't we do these sorts of things there?!?

Steve said...

I hoped someone would know this. All the searching I did online came up empty. Turns out I needed the right combination of search words. Mine were wrong.