Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Equipment Elevations

Revit MEP focus again - Trying to determine what the correct elevation for equipment can be awkward when each connector is at different elevations. Sometimes a VAV, (variable air volume) or AHU, (air handling unit)or RTU (roof top unit) has connectors at really convenient (meaning really inconvenient) elevations that don't seem to relate well (or at all) to the nice clean elevations, like 9'-0" or 10'-6", that you've chosen for your duct or pipe runs.

By the way, I added the words for the acronyms for my mother. I know my typical readers know what they mean but she reads this blog too sometimes and its bad enough that most everything is gibberish anyway but I have to use acronyms too?!?

What I do is sketch a short piece of duct/pipe from a connector on the equipment so that I can cheat and use the offset parameter of the duct/pipe to raise the equipment to the correct elevation that I need (Video?).



1 comment:

Christopher Hubbard said...

Steve,

Great tip. We have been sketching toward the middle as it were.

We place the EQ at a comfortable elevation and sketch from each connector in the desired direction. When the pipes or ducts meet in the middle we make some adjustments with eq heights, slope or risers. The riser is the easiest because you just drag the pipe or duct ends together and it creates the necessary connectors risers etc.