Thursday, March 19, 2009

MEP Rough-In Families - Follow On Post

I received the following in a comment to an earlier post
.
The image above that I believe prompted these questions.

I'm trying to decipher the picture and I have a few questions

1) How did you connect the piping to the P-Trap?
2) How did you connect the toilet flange to the toilet?
3) how did you connect the Double-Y w/8th Bend to a vertical pipe?
4) Did you end the hot and cold water supply at a valve for each of the components?
5) Are you using Revit to calculate flow requirements or pipe sizes?
6) Is this process easier or faster than placing a new fixture?
7) How do you create a system with this method?
8) How did you make the rough-in connector.
9) How did you connect it to the fixtures?

I am just beginning to learn Revit and am not using it to it's full potential yet. So far, I'm still just drafting in 3D. I'm looking for anything that will help to speed up the learning curve. Sorry this is so long winded. Thanks for the help.


To start with the answer, this concept is derived from the fact that RME cannot connect to a family in a linked file. If an architect places a toilet in their file the RME engineering must place their own toilet to connect piping. This is an alternative to placing a toilet, instead placing the rough-in fittings where the toilet would require them to be. They still must be coordinated but the rough-in fitting, in my mind, is consistent with the work on-site.

Answers:

1) The piping and p-trap is part of the connector family itself.

2) The toilet is not connected to the toilet flange. They occupy the same location. The toilet flange has the data that RME needs to allow for connection and to create a system.

3) The tutorials that come with RME show how to do that.

4) Yes, the pipes stop at the hot and cold water valves at both the sink and toilet.

5) I am not doing pipe sizing, I am a consultant who does training so I don't "need" to. Engineers are telling me that the sizing is a bit too basic at this time to really rely on. This was a mock-up of an idea that I've pitched to several clients who objected to placing toilets and sinks themselves.

6) Not faster necessarily but, in my view, more consistent with on-site process.

7) A system is connected to the rough-in connector family, the data needed is defined in the family. The fixtures are in the separate file so they are inert, "dumb".

8) In the family editor. RME ships with several connector families to use for this approach, simpler than mine but you can extend the idea to your own needs. You can download my examples; Sink Connector and Water Closet.

9) The rough-in family does not "connect" to the fixtures, it sits next to, above, coordinated with them.

I hope these answers help you on your way!!

Steve

No comments: