Monday, August 25, 2008

Pipe Fitting Naming - Survey Says

If you've read my earlier post about surveys you know how I feel about them. That said, Kyle Bernhardt with Autodesk Revit MEP's team is requesting participation in a survey to help them define how best to name Pipe Fittings. Exciting I know but they are a name.

Kyle writes on his blog (Inside the System):

I wanted to solicit your participation in a survey we have developed involving Pipe Fittings, and how you as users think about them.

Pipe Fittings are a complex beast when it comes to describing them in a short concise manner. Many aspects about them, such as Material, Class, Type, Connection Type, etc., are factors for selection in a design.

We'd like to know more about what is important to you as users, so we can define a convention that best reflects that feedback.

With that in mind, I ask that you please fill out the following survey to provide us your perspective on this matter. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

For those of you who are CAD Managers, I would request that you ask your end-users to fill out the survey, as they will most likely be the folks most directly impacted by choices that we make.

Thanks in advance to all of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In sprinkler work, we use two main types of pipe fittings and one of three connection methods. Fittings are either threaded or grooved and pipe is connected through either threaded tees/crosses, grooved tees/crosses, or welded outlets (both threaded and grooved) It would be nice to have default fitting groups that could easily be defined using a take-out that is used to take pipe from center-to-center dimensions to cut dimensions. The absence of a center-to-center option makes sprinkler system design tedious in revit.