Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Advertising and Blogging

As 70ish readers have noticed, and voted, I posted a poll about advertising on this blog. So far eight readers have said that they wouldn't return if ads started appearing on this site. Thirty two have said that they wouldn't mind but prefer that it is subtle.

I've kept this site ad free as much because I don't like ads as any other reason. I'm not consciously aware of any Revit blogs that don't have ads these days, though I imagine there are some. I don't really notice the ads if they are there either...I just don't. Just because others are doesn't make I feel that I must.

What does intrigue me is just how much ad revenue I've ignored or missed by not doing it too. How much? Pennies, four bucks, a hundred? Over three years now just how much would it be? There are bloggers out there making serious money doing it but they are blogging daily and have 10's if not 100's of thousands of readers. This little corner of the blogosphere draws a steady few hundred readers (I'm glad you visit and find it worthwhile to do so, thanks!) each day.

I guess I won't know unless I try it which means I'd have to be willing to lose eight readers...always a trade off. Can't there be a win/win?

Still on the fence...

No comments: