Saturday, May 06, 2006

Walking on Thin Ice

Another post about shared parameters. Here's the warning you'll find in a shared parameter file.
If you've dabbled or dug in seriously with shared parameters you've most likely made a mistake naming or choosing the type for a parameter. The interface Revit provides doesn't allow you to change a parameter once you've entered the data and finished. The only route is to delete and redo....or is it?

It is just a text file technically so you can open it with Windows application, Notepad. Best not to open it in Word or similar since you could inadvertently save formatting data in the file rendering it useless to Revit.

Required Disclaimer: In light of the above image doing anything I suggest will not be supported by anyone if something goes wrong, you venture out on "Thin Ice" at your own peril. If you have used the shared parameter in a project and have data associated with it don't go here...walk away. You'll lose data. Scared yet? No...okay carry on...

If you examine a shared parameter file, each value has a role.

If you need to rename the parameter, rename it here >

If you need to redefine the type, do it here >

Keep in mind that you have to enter the type value exactly as Revit expects it to be written otherwise it isn't going to work.

If you want to get a parameter from one file into another, just copy the entire string from one to the other.

I don't know how many people will care about this or perhaps run away but during a discussion about this recently I tried it to fix something and found it helpful.

This is only really useful if you are in the process of creating parameters and make a mistake. If you've already implemented a project or content using the parameters it may be more "costly" to change than it is worth. You be the judge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since this was posted. Is it still true that you can't edit a parameter file once created? Is it still as risky?

What if I want to consolidate two shared parameters files? Any danger in just editing them manually like you say here, with cut and paste commands?

Steve said...

Still works, as long as you don't end up with GUID's that match one another. It's been my observation that I can't create a parameter by making up my own GUID. It has to have been generated by Revit.

danielgijsbers said...

Have you tried making GUIDS yourself?

I needed recently a bunch of parameters that were a bit of a hassle to add through the interface.

I opened the sp file and created one line and next I copied that line 6 times, incremented the guids.( I changed two numbers to be on the save side) Changed al the other things I need and went back to Revit. So far it seems to accept it and work.

Steve said...

I have tried what you described and it didn't work for me in the past.

Since then I just use a GUID generator like this one:

http://createguid.com/