Wednesday, June 04, 2014

RTC and my Playlist

I don't recall whose session, or which event, it was that I first heard some music played while we all gathered in the room. I just remember thinking, I LIKE that! I've played music ever since then, before and after my sessions, if it was possible.

I just returned home from speaking at RTC in Melbourne. It was great, even if Melbourne was a bit damp! In keeping with other events, at least one person always asks me about the music I'm playing. I've chosen to use Joe Satriani's music as a prelude for the last couple years. His music is melodic, energetic, and mostly instrumental. I used his new album Unstoppable Momentum for my What's New... session. It features Vinny Colaiuta, one of my favorite drummers, as well as a bunch of other excellent musicians.

I used a shorter playlist for my other session "Grumble, Grumble, Snort". I knew I only had 15 minutes between the end of the previous session and the beginning of mine so I chose Jeff Beck's "Hammerhead" (a tribute to musician Jan Hammer and featuring Australia's own Tal Wilkenfeld on bass), Joe's "Jumpin' In" and "Can't Go Back" and finished with The Tubes "Mr. Hate". I figured we'd start off the session after hearing a "grumpy" sort of tune, to set the mood.

I don't know about you but music is always "on" in my head.

Use Spotify? Here's a LINK to the short Playlist

3 comments:

The Revit Kid said...

The first time I heard music before an RTC presentation was Scott Davis in Atlanta... I think he had some house music playing before his presentation....


Joe Satch is awesome by the way! Ironically, I am going to see him live on Tuesday.

Steve said...

I saw one of his shows in LA a few years ago but I haven't had a chance to see another since. Eventually...

I think you meant coincidentally as opposed to ironically ;) Comments are so spontaneous...

daveedwards said...

I started using "Crazy Horse" by the Dave Weckl Band on my radio show and it makes a great intro song. Like you I like the idea because it helps the crowd find their seats and sets the mood.