Friday, January 14, 2011

Dept. of Bugs - Revit Framing Does Not Play Nice

Avan Amalsad wrote to me today asking me if I could corroborate her observations and those of one of her clients, she works with Microdesk and specializes in Revit Structure. She was asking about that version but I had Revit Architecture open. The two applications share these features so if it happens in RST I expected it to happen in RAC, it did! Okay okay...what is it?

If you have a grid, column and framing layout and adjust the position of a grid by a value of around six inches or less (150mm) you'll find that the framing doesn't follow the grid.


If you change the spacing by a value greater than six inches (150mm) then it seems to wake up and follow the grid. If you keep changing it by small increments the framing may not wake up until you've move it enough that it does again. Odd foible. Avan's client says that they saw a larger increment of failure back in Revit 2009 so it is better now. I guess we have to define better loosely? I recorded a little video to demonstrate it to make it easier to see.

4 comments:

JB said...

I could be wrong but I think the framing stays put until outside the Column (box). It still recognizes it as attached to the column. Therefore if you had a smaller or larger column, it would change the "wake up" distance.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

JB

Steve said...

After posting it occurred to me that this fuzziness is the result of requests to have framing attach to columns "off the grid" or offset. If that is to be permitted then maybe this is a side effect?

Anonymous said...

Either way, to move a line by 100 first move by 1000, then back by 900. Millimetres that is.

Ken said...

This is one serious issue, I have noticed that it goes all the way back to 2009 where the increment for framing not following the grid line is even larger, irrespective of the column size. The testing that I am doing is showing grid lien moves of less than 6.3" in versions RS 2010 & 2011 and in RS 2009 an even worse value of 12"!
Hopefully I will hear a proper explanation on this from support.
Thanks for posting Steve :)

Ken Murphy