Friday, May 09, 2008

Dept. of Quirky - Using Group Bar vs. Scrolling

If you like video I posted an example of this as well.

When you take a look at the properties of any element in Revit you are presented with parameters organized into Groups, the blue (at least in my Windows config) bar above parameters. This blue bar is one the "sneaky buttons" as I call them.


Clicking at any point along the blue bar will contract or expand the list of parameters. Okay you know that already...so here's the point.

You'll find that if you use a combination of the scroll bar AND the Groups that at times Revit will be unable to display all of the parameters toward the bottom of the list. This is particularly true of the Family Editor > Family Types dialog where I seem to spend a fair bit of time. In order to see them you'll have to expand all the Groups and then use the Scroll Bar.

I debated...is the Dept. of Subtle or Quirky?...Quirky won but it's a toss up!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd vote for broken...

Oh for a re-sizable element properties dialog or (heresy maybe) an AutoCAD/ACA style mode-less palette...

Paolo Emilio Serra said...

Try this one:

http://www.digitallis.co.uk/pc/ResizeEnable/

It lets you resize all the windows that normally doesn't.

Steve said...

I use Resize Enable a bit but not a lot because it has a couple side effects that I prefer not to endure most of the time. I'll do another article on it...