Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dept. of Quirky - Duct Duct Weird

Observed this odd behavior when attempting to add a riser to an existing lateral duct run. If you create the riser during the initial sketch of the lateral run it works fine. It just gets weird if you try to introduce a riser later. It works fine if you just create a riser separately. Also curious is that sketching a duct will cease the duct run when you click on a reference plane. If you expect to continue sketching duct you need to be careful not to click on a reference plane because the current duct sketching mode with stop and you'll have to select the first point again to continue. Both conditions are quirky in my book. Video embedded below and posted at OpEd Videos and YouTube.


3 comments:

Erik said...

I have to disagree..., but only with the title. That's not Quirky, that's F***ed Up. I've seen that with pipe as well, but never had time to investigate why. I was looking at a sloped pipe run yesterday that had a "Start Offset" of 8'-9" and some odd/128ths and an "End Offset" value of -132' and some odds inches.
Funny thing is that the -132’ end was the higher of the two ends!!! And this was the top floor of the building, so that end was 132' below WHAT?
My big take-away for this, is that I NEVER want to see someone modeling in plan only. You MUST have at least one more view open that represents the "other" plane (if working in plan a section or elevation.) I usually suggest a 3D view as the “other” plane, but it would take pretty sharp eyes to notice something was up if I selected a 2’ positive offset and Revit gave me a 1’ negative offset. I think I will suggest a section when drawing risers from now on. At least you can draw in section…

Steve said...

Quirky is polite 8-) When a plumbing engineer is already skeptical about the effectiveness of Revit it certainly doesn't help dissuade.

Anonymous said...

Luiz Carlos Said...
Hello steve so we can take any value in the offset. It need not be fixed right and riser can also vary.